MORE KITCHEN RESTORE IN PROGRESS

By
Aug 12 2014

KITCHEN RESTORE IN PROGRESS

A couple of weeks ago, I first posted on our kitchen remodel.  We’ve been constantly working on things so I wanted to share a little more of what we have done.

Because of the original drop ceiling, the cabinets had been framed out over the sink/window.  It really needed to be opened up so we decided to get rid of the framing.

kitchen restore - over sink cabinet

kitchen restore - removing over sink cabinet

kitchen restore - removing over sink cabinet

There was a light above the sink, so there was a little bit of electrical stuff to take care of. Removing the panel also left a big gap in the wall.

kitchen restore - above window

The walls in the kitchen have little to no texture, so we needed to get that smoothed out and as flat as possible. To fill the gap, we used Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound.

gal-sheetrock-all-purpose-joint-compound-01

The gap was pretty deep so it took a few applications to get it filled and sanded smooth to match the wall.

kitchen restore - sheetrock all purpose joint compound

Once it was painted to match the wall, it was almost as if the gap had never been there in the first place. (you can see it in the ‘after’ pictures at the end of this post)

We went back and forth on how we wanted to finish the cabinets – stain or paint?  what color?  Several years ago, Brandon had painted the cabinets in the front bathroom with Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss Black and they still look great.  We both love that look, so we decided to continue it in the kitchen.
rust-oleum painter's touch

Once that was decided, it was time to get to work.  We emptied out all of the cabinets and lightly sanded everything.  Everything. Inside and out.  Because I’m so impatient and always want to see results today (!), we actually broke up the work into sections.  Once the first section was sanded, we got started on the paint.

kitchen restore - painting cabinets

We wanted a little bit of texture in the finished look so we applied several very light coats of the paint.  That way, the brush strokes are still visible and you can see hints of the old stain peeking through here and there. We love it!

kitchen restore - cabinet painting progress

As you can see if the photo above, another result of removing the drop ceiling was the rough tops of the cabinets. They needed to be finished off with some crown molding. We have several other places in the house with a dental pattern in the molding so we wanted to stick as close to that as possible. Luckily, the Home Depot had just what we needed!

kitchen restore - dental crown molding

Cutting crown molding and getting all of the angles correct can be tricky. The guys from This Old House have a great tutorial that was very helpful, as always!

Once we had measured (multiple times!) and cut, we primed and painted the molding to match the cabinets.  Adding that detail made such a difference to the look of the kitchen!

kitchen restore - crown molding

kitchen restore - crown molding nail set

kitchen restore - crown molding

Here you can really see the difference the molding makes, as well as the change in the wall above the window:

kitchen restore - crown molding

After all of that work, here is what our kitchen looks like today:

kitchen restore progress

kitchen restore progress

Just a few more things left. We visited the cabinet door maker a couple of weeks ago and have our doors on order. I’m so excited!

Linking up with:  Chic On A Shoestring